Sunday, April 13, 2014

Meeting Christ Face to Face

October 2013
I was sitting on the beach with my toes dangling in the cool water and my fingertips stretched over the warm sand.  I heard the sounds of waves crashing into the shoreline and then the peaceful hush of water as it seeped back into the ocean.  I felt the breath of the salty sea air as it whipped my hair into a musical cadence, and welcomed the warm sunshine as it kissed my cheeks.  I closed my eyes to commit this moment to memory, soaking in each smell, taste, sight, sound, and feeling that penetrated my senses.  As I opened my eyes, a kind face, completed by an illuminating smile, greeted me.  Standing above the water before me was a man with an outstretched arm, inviting me to take a walk with him. 
                  
I desperately longed to run into his arms to journey together across the water, but I remained seated in the sand, paralyzed by his invitation.  I had survived the journey across the desert, where I was tempted by demons and challenged to continue moving toward the next good step.  I had endured the long loneliness in anticipation for this moment, to walk side by side with Jesus.  However, I remained in the sand, too overcome by fear and doubt to harness enough faith to walk on water.
                  
Instead of journeying out into the deep water without me, Jesus sat next to me in the sand, meeting me right where I was.  He didn’t ask me why I wouldn’t come with him and he didn’t try to talk me into stepping out into the water.  Jesus just sat with me, and I had never felt more loved in all my life.  My heart pounded and I was next to my mother, reminded of the joy to be found in the gift of self-sacrifice.  My heart pounded and I was sitting next to my father, focusing on the truth, rather than the distractions around me.  My heart pounded and I was sitting next to my best friend, challenging me to be authentic, true to who God made me to be.  My heart pounded and I was sitting next to a guest from the St. Hedwig Haus, recalling the holy struggle and lessons of humility and suffering.  My heart pounded and I was sitting next to a speech therapy client, reminded of his sense of deep gratitude for services that I was able to provide. 

My heart pounded and I was standing in the middle of the ocean, surrounded by the love of God.  By recognizing Christ in those around me and responding to each grace-filled moment, I demonstrated the faith needed to walk on water.  Finally, I was able to answer God’s call to holiness, to live out my vocation to love, to offer my life to Christ in service to the Poor.

No comments:

Post a Comment